As you have come to know, William Means Real Estate was founded in 1933 and represents one of the oldest real estate companies in Charleston. Looking back at our 90-year history, it is incredible to know that less than one percent of companies in the United States share the same longevity as William Means. To offer some perspective on the year our firm was established, it is worth reflecting on other interesting events that were happening in our country.
- The United States was facing the Great Depression and President Roosevelt spoke the famous words in his first inauguration speech “The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.”
- Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge began in San Francisco, California.
- Scientist Albert Einstein arrived in the United States where he settled permanently as a refugee of Nazi Germany.
- The original King Kong film debuted in New York City. The movie became the first feature film to use stop-motion animation models.
- Bing Crosby and Duke Ellington had some of the best ranked songs this year including “Shadow Waltz” and “Sophisticated Lady.”
- The Twenty-First Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, repealing Prohibition (yay!).
After such a momentous year celebrating our milestone anniversary in Charleston, we are looking forward to our next chapter. We are pleased to announce the launch of our history series, What It All Means. What It All Means will take you back in time through Charleston’s incredible history with the real estate company that was there to witness and be part of it all.
Come with us behind the gates of some of the area’s most historic homes as we tell you about the legends, people and places that have shaped the Holy City. From where real estate began to the landmarks that make our city famous today, we will give you an insider’s take on Charleston and real estate in the place we love to call home. Through extraordinary archival photos and video, William Means Real Estate invites you on this journey to discover our past.
Stay tuned to our website and social media for our first installment of What It All Means.