414 New Street

Key Details

  • Price: $2,450,000
  • Beds: 3
  • Full Baths: 2
  • SqFt: 2,150

Full Features

  • Status: Active
  • Type: Single Family Detached
  • Garage: Yes
  • Off-Street Parking: Yes
  • Fireplace: Yes
  • Stories: 2
  • Year Built: 1810
  • DoM: 68 days
  • Listed: 5/7/2024

Description

This is your opportunity to own the William Johnson House, probably the fourth oldest home in Beaufort, circa 1776. Located on a corner lot, the home sits on its original tabby foundation and faces east, unusual for homes in the Point. and is built in typical 18th century style with three formal rooms upstairs and down and four fireplaces. It has 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, living room, dining room, entertainment center with 72'' TV and built-in Polk sound system, kitchen, rear porch with extensive rear brick patio, and a separate ADU. The metal roof was custom designed and installed in 2016. The home is in the Point, a section of easy walkable, beautiful streets and historic homes. it is three blocks from Bay Street, downtown restaurants, shops , Waterfront Park, and the Marina.The home has an attic with storage original to the home. There is a workroom under the home as well as a gym. The home is Georgian architecture and many parts of the interior and exterior of the home retain materials from the original construction of the home. The home was originally constructed by Rev. William Johnson, the first Baptist Minister to come to the low country and is purported to be the minister who introduced baptisms to the Beaufort area. Some time after the home was constructed, the room that currently serves as the entertainment room and the kitchen were added. In 1999, the rear covered patio, patio, garage and ADU were added. The original construction date has been verified by historic preservationists who surveyed the Old Point during a historic survey for the City of Beaufort. During the Civil War the home was owned by W. C. Danner. It was confiscated by the US Government after the war as were many homes in Beaufort, and was subsequently owned by Samuel Bamfield, the husband of Elizabeth Smalls Bamfield. She was the daughter of Robert Smalls. Mr. Bamfield was Clerk of Court for Beaufort County for 20 years and after that, postmaster of Beaufort. After his death, his wife became postmistress of Beaufort and served until her retirement. All 11 of their children were born in the home. This material is based on information we consider reliable, but because it has been provided by third parties, we cannot represent that it is accurate or complete and should not be relied on as such.

Location

Schools

Elementary: Out of Area
Middle School:   Out of Area
High School: Out of Area

Schedule a showing or request more info

Listed by: BHHS Bay Street Realty Group       MLS Disclaimer

MLS Disclaimer

The data relating to real estate for sale on our web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocitysm Program of the Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service. Listings held by brokerage firms other than William Means, are marked with the Broker Reciprocitysm logo or the Broker Reciprocitysm thumbnail logo (a little black house) and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. INFORMATION DEEMED RELIABLE BUT NOT GUARANTEED. Copyright Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.

×