Moving from your current home to a new property can be one of the most stressful times in your life. Being prepared ahead of time and for the final days in your house is paramount to making this transition as smooth as possible. These are just a few tips to help you get started!
- Have your real estate agent, neighbor or close friend recommend a reputable mover and make reservations two to four weeks before your moving day. It is best to price out several companies to be sure that you are getting the most bang for your buck.
- Schedule disconnect times for about a week before your move day — you don’t want to have to pay for cable, internet and utilities when you aren’t even there! The same goes for pest and lawn service and even household cleaners.
- File your change of address forms about week before your move date. You can easily submit this via the USPS website or at your local post office.
- Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement or crawl space as soon as you decide it’s time to move. De-cluttering ahead of your moving day will allow you to bring only the items that you really want (and need) to your new house.
- Pack a box of items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing added to the truck or keep it with you in your car for safekeeping. This can include anything from breakfast food for the next day or charging cables for your electronics.
- Store everything that you might need for a final cleanup before you move out in a closet – broom, dust cloth, mop etc.. You can use these items to clean your stove and other kitchen appliances before you move out; the new homeowners will thank you!
If you’re interested in buying or selling your home, contact one of William Means’ experienced agents today!